Frequently asked questions
About UC Davis
Responsible Conduct of Research
Other postbacc/pre-PhD opportunities
- NIH list of other PREP sites
- summary of PREP programs, including application deadlines, compiled by Dr. R. Behringer, MD Anderson Cancer Center. This list is self-reported and does not include all the NIH PREP sites
- the NIH Intramural Research Training Award Program. Rolling admission.
- Pathways to Science: searchable database
- consider a funded MS program, including ones on the list compiled by Dr. Stacy Farina, Howard University (note that Professor Farina specifically calls out Ecology/Evolution/Organismal Biology but the list includes many programs that include cell and molecular biology)
From Kelly Stevens et al. 2021, commentary in Cell.
Our nationwide network of BME women faculty collectively argue that racial funding disparity by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) remains the most insidious barrier to success of Black faculty in our profession. We thus refocus attention on this critical barrier and suggest solutions on how it can be dismantled.
We encourage those interested in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the life sciences to check out these additional writings and resources. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list.
- UC Davis Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: guidance, action plans, people and groups, how to learn more
- UC Davis was founded as a Land Grant Institution under the 1862 Morrill Act. While this legislation opened higher education to those who'd been previously excluded, it also expropriated millions of acres of land from tribal nations. Learn more in this two-day forum sponsored by UC Berkeley.
- UC Davis' Land Acknowledgement Statement
- Promoting Diversity and Advancing Equity in the Biomedical Sciences, Kenneth Gibbs, Director of the Postdoctoral Research Associate Training Program at the National Institute of General Medical Sciences, NIH. ASCB, 3 Sep 2020.
- What Can We Do to Combat Anti-Black Racism in the Biomedical Research Enterprise? Jon Lorch, Kenneth Gibbs, and Alison Gamie, NIH Feedback Loop Blog. 20 June 2020
Why did we establish a PREP site at UC Davis? PI Dan Starr explains in How Establishing a Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program Can Address Your Mid-life Crisis, Daniel Starr, Professor of Molecular and Cell Biology and Director, PREP@UCD. ASCB Newsletter, September/October 2020.
- UC Davis Professors Crystal Rogers and Wilsaan Joiner on Injustices Against Blacks in America. Interview by Professor Rebecca Calisi-Rodriguez, 10 June 2020. Two new-ish members of our campus community, Dr. Crystal Rogers (Assistant Professor of Biology in the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine) and Dr. Wilsaan Joiner (Associate Professor of Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior in the UC Davis College of Biological Sciences and the Department of Neurology within the UC Davis School of Medicine), share their thoughts and experiences on race, racism, the Davis community, and UC Davis. Rogers and Joiner both are trainers in PREP@UCD.
- Dan and Carole's letter to the PREP@UCD community about anti-black violence, 1 June 2020
- Antiracism resources from UC Davis: guidance, action plans, people and groups, how to learn more