Some of you may wonder about the genesis of PREP@UCD. Dan’s blog published in the ASCB Newletter provides insight.
- How Establishing a Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program Can Address Your Mid-life Crisis, Daniel Starr, Professor of Molecular and Cell Biology and Director, PREP@UCD. ASCB Newsletter, September/October 2020.
We encourage those interested in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the life sciences to check out these additional writings and resources. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list.
- UC Davis was founded as a Land Grant Institution under the 1862 Morrill Act. While this legislation opened higher education to those who’d been previously excluded, it also expropriated millions of acres of land from tribal nations. Learn more in this two-day forum sponsored by UC Berkeley.
- see the PREP@UCD Land Acknowledgement below the NIH and UC Davis logos below
- Promoting Diversity and Advancing Equity in the Biomedical Sciences, Kenneth Gibbs, Director of the Postdoctoral Research Associate Training Program at the National Institute of General Medical Sciences, NIH. ASCB, 3 Sep 2020.
- What Can We Do to Combat Anti-Black Racism in the Biomedical Research Enterprise? Jon Lorch, Kenneth Gibbs, and Alison Gamie, NIH Feedback Loop Blog. 20 June 2020
- UC Davis Professors Crystal Rogers and Wilsaan Joiner on Injustices Against Blacks in America. Interview by Professor Rebecca Calisi-Rodriguez, 10 June 2020. Two new-ish members of our campus community, Dr. Crystal Rogers (Assistant Professor of Biology in the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine) and Dr. Wilsaan Joiner (Associate Professor of Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior in the UC Davis College of Biological Sciences and the Department of Neurology within the UC Davis School of Medicine), share their thoughts and experiences on race, racism, the Davis community, and UC Davis. Rogers and Joiner both are trainers in PREP@UCD.
- Dan and Carole’s letter to the PREP@UCD community about anti-black violence, 1 June 2020